Ever feel like doctors just don’t listen? And you present with the same symptoms over and over again and you’re made to feel like it really can’t be that bad. You even start to doubt how bad things are and that maybe it is all in your head. I know I did.
I took me nearly 2 years for someone to take me seriously and pass me on for a referral to get the right tests before my diagnosis.
I know that I am not alone in this.
Wanted to share the symptoms/feelings that I had at the start with my IBD, I know not everyone is the same – but all I can say is make sure you write it all down and arm yourself before you head to any appointment.
- Persistent stomach ache
- bowels are constantly moving, internal shaking sensation
- Mouth ulcers
- Bad skin/persistent spots (scalp, face, chest, vagina)
- Lower Back pain
- Sore ribs
- Sudden urge to go to the toilet
- Rectal bleeding/pain & mucus
- Anal tear’s
- Always Cold
- Reduced libido
- diarrhea multiple times a day mornings afternoon evenings. Keeps me awake
- Undigested food in poo
- nausea and vomiting
- Starving but no appetite
- Wary of food
- Chest pains
- Weight loss
- Feeling like I can’t be away from a toilet
- Simple tasks are an effort
- Can’t concentrate
- Dwelling on past
- Full quickly
- Difficulty passing gas
- Feeling out of sorts and not wanting to do anything
- Feelings of hopelessness and death
- Feel like I’m going insane and no one believes me.
When I finally saw my consultant I told them I was worried it could be cancer, like my mum passed away from (this is true and my boyfriend told me to mention it so someone would take it seriously)
Naturally my consultant wanted to prove me wrong and sent me for a Colonoscopy, diagnosis Crohn’s disease.
I knew something wasn’t right and while it wasn’t the answer I wanted, it was a massively relief finally knowing what was wrong with me.
If anyone is stuck in limbo with symptoms, push for answers ask for referrals. I know it is easier said than done, but we know our bodies best and what is not normal for us.
Thanks for reading, and if you thought this post was any good why not check out a few of my other posts.